Items for Sale

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Lego Quilt


My grandson loves Lego Ninjago and when I decided to make his quilt I knew that had to be the theme.  I didn't want the actual characters in the quilt (assuming fabric is even available for Lego Ninjago), but I wanted to replicate the colors used in the sets.  

I purchased Ohio Stars in Solids from Lorna McMahon at Sew Fresh Quilts.  The bold solids and pattern mix of Ohio Star and the 9 patch appealed to me.   Using the handy Palette Builder site,  I chose Kona solids in colors that matched the Ninjago Lego figures. 

  
Making some adaptations for block size.  I made 9 1/2 " blocks.  It meant more cutting and piecing but I love the smaller size blocks. I also added some rows.  I calculated the amount of fabric I needed and headed out to Mad about Patchwork in Richmond.  Lots of fun choosing the colors.  The store has a great selection of Kona solids.  They will make up a kit of Kona solids to make a 51" x 51" quilt in other Kona colors which is nice as well.

Here are some of my choices.  I like that fact that they label the colors.  I'll be able to identify any leftover fabric for other projects :)




After choosing the solids, I picked a light grey print in wideback for the backing.  It gave a bit more quiet feeling for the back as I knew the front would be a burst of color.  The binding would be black.

Lorna's blog on this quilt showed her using Accu Quilt which I didn't have.  I cut all pieces by hand and started piecing and within a few days had the top completed.


With backing and quilt top, I went to the gal who machine quilts for me.  We talked about a quilt design and nothing was quite what I had in mind.  I was going to settle for a traditional stitching when she offered to look for something that might work.  By the time I got home, she had emailed me 2 quilt stitch designs.  I was delighted with what she found and I chose one that worked perfectly.  Lego quilt blocks all over the quilt.








I hope he enjoys this quilt for years to come.





No comments:

Post a Comment