Items for Sale

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Helena Quilt


 Purchased the PDF pattern for this quilt from The Fat Quarter Shop .  I wanted to use fabric from my stash to create this quilt and ordered a few other fabrics from Water Girl Quilt Co.  


 

The pattern is made with one of GE Gudrun's quilt rulers but, it does give brief instructions if using a regular ruler.  Here are the rulers I ended up using but I'm sure most quilters can improvise with what they have on hand.




I picked a variety of fabrics - mostly small print, some light, some dark.  Background fabric is Kona Snow

Cut squares out of prints and background, then cut into  specified pieces.  Easily done with the rulers I had.





Next, sections are pieced together.  Diagrams in the pattern are clear.

When it came to cutting these pieces, she only gave directions for her ruler.  So I placed my 1 1/4" line from tip to tip on the square, and cut.  Then I placed my 2 1/2" line along that cut piece and cut again.  Giving a 2 1/2" section with 2 'wings'. 



Sewing the sections together to form a nice point was done by making a mark at the 1/4" line at the seam of each piece.  I placed a pin through the marks on both pieces, and then secured with clips to keep in place.  No instructions were given for this in the pattern.

Once 2 wings were attached, block is squared.  Again no directions, but I put the  2 1/2" lines on the seams and kept the diagonal line on the center of the diagonal piece.




 Arranging blocks on my design board.


 
 
I added a 4" grey print border to the quilt to bring it to a 56" by 74" quilt top size.  The print was Thatched Gray by Robin Pickens.
 
I pieced together a backing, having flying geese as an insert between the grey backing fabric for contrast.
 
Quilted on diagonals with my Bernina and a walking foot. 


Quilt size 56 x 74






No comments:

Post a Comment