Items for Sale

Friday, October 7, 2016

Irish Chain

A pattern that has been around a long time is the Irish Chain.  The simplicity of this traditional design is what appealed to me.  Using directions from Eleanor Burns' Irish Chain  Quilt in a Day book I pieced the top.  Mind you it took me a bit longer than a day :)

The quilt was professionally quilted on a long arm quilting machine in a Meander pattern.  I hand stitched the binding.  A work of love.


This pattern consists of only 2 block designs.  Hard to believe when you see the final effect.  I have seen this pattern in a different block arrangement, but I like the traditional look.  A simpler version of the single Irish Chain is also included in Eleanor's book.

The soft blue and yellow colors are perfect for this baby  quilt.   It's large enough to use through the toddler years and maybe more.  After that who knows, maybe a wall hanging!

The backing is a Kona solid I purchased at Mad About Patchwork  They always have a super collection of solids - lots of shades of colors.  I like to use solids as backing because it shows the quilting so nicely.



No comments:

Post a Comment